Music Trivia Everyone Should Know:
I really like knowing random, useless facts. I actually love taking those stupid online trivia tests. I was taking one today on ’80’s hair metal, though…and I did surprisingly bad. Sure, I know who produced Def Leppard’s Hysteria. I know what band Bobby Dall is in. I know which lead singer has performed in at least three broadway musicals. I know Nikki Sixx’s Grandma’s name. I knew Lita Ford did a duet with Ozzy. Well, what else do I need to know???
Apparently a lot. I’ve found out I’m amazingly bad with lyrics…why the asker gives me a “finish this song” question, I cannot do it, ever. I can tell you the name of the song its from and the band who made it famous, but lyrics? cannot do it. I also know absolutely nothing about Warrant (and I’m perfectly fine with that), but the people who make those quizzes make Warrant every other question. Just to trip me up, I’m sure. and there weren’t nearly enough questions about bands I do know to make up for it.
But, just to redeem myself, I’ve compiled some music trivia that I know, and everybody should know.
- This is one of my favorites: Smells Like Teen Spirit is not the name of a Nirvana album!!!
- Speaking of, Cobain totally copied Boston’s “More than A Feeling” in that song. I think this is hilariously funny mainly because I never expected it. Go listen, seriously. Cobain himself admitted to it.
- Black and Blue is an album by the Rolling Stones. I refuse to recognize any similarly-titled albums by certain boy bands.
- Aerosmith: “Vince Neil looks like a lady, so lets write a song about it.” Yea, this one is old, but it is still endlessly funny…mostly because it is true. For that matter, Tommy and Nikki looked like Ladies too:Notice that Mick never had this problem.
- Another good Aerosmith one: they were the villains in the Sgt. Pepper movie, and its their cover of “Come Together” that is used in the soundtrack, not the Beatles’ original
- Glam rock and Glam Metal are not the same genre, actually. But feel free to argue with me on that.
- Sweden is the 3rd largest music exporter in the world, after the US and the UK. Once you get past ABBA and start compiling a list of all the swedish bands you know, that isn’t so surprising as it first seems.
- The Band “Ratt” was originally called “Mickey Ratt.” I guess it was shortened so as not to be confused with their mouse cousin.
- If you watch Whitesnake’s video for “Here I go Again” very closely, you can see a couple places where Tawny Kitaen’s already-revealing dress slips off her shoulder…scandalous. I learned this from Pop-up video. I think there’s also a part where she breaks her stiletto, but I could be wrong on that. Its been a long time since I’ve seen that show or the video. Another thing I’m fine with.
- Sebastian Bach is that old dude with the long hair who plays in Lane’s band on the Gilmore Girls…and people wonder why I watched that show…haha. Totally worth it.
- Tracii Guns is not the lead singer of LA Guns (or Guns N Roses, for that matter). It has come to my attention that some people are confused about this. And I guess its an understandable mistake.
- Buckcherry got their name from Chuck Berry…they switched the CH with the B, see?
- Cheap Trick’s Tom Petersson was the builder of the world’s very first 12-string bass. Why he thought that was a good idea, I don’t know. If I should meet him in Heaven one day, that will be the very first thing I ask
- Snake Sabo was a childhood friend and the original guitarist for Jon Bon Jovi. He was quickly replaced by Richie Sambora. However, when Snake formed his own band (you know, Skid Row…) Jon Bon Jovi helped them get a record deal.
- Dizzy Reed joined a college fraternity in 2006. He was 43 years old at the time. I don’t know why. I wonder if he’s still in it??
I guess thats enough.
Tell me–do you have any weird, random trivia you’ve been dying to share? I’d love to hear it!!!